Planning & Highways Committee
The agendas and minutes can be found at the bottom of the page.
The Town Council has the opportunity to comment on all Planning applications within the parish of Thatcham prior to their being considered by the West Berkshire District Council Planning Committee, where the final decisions on permission are made.
Terms of Reference:
- To exercise the functions of the Council in respect of planning matters, referring any particular issues to Council or another Committee for comments and recommendations as the Planning and Highways Committee deems appropriate.
- To consider all planning related applications, orders and notices within the Parish and to make representations to the appropriate authority.
- Encourage potential developers of major sites ( i.e. more than 10 units) to proactively engage with Thatcham Town Council at the earliest opportunity to ensure that any schemes put forward to the Local Planning Authority are appropriate for Thatcham.
- To identify and make representations to the relevant authorities in respect of enforcement action or any matters considered to be breaches of planning regulations.
- To engage with West Berkshire Council to ensure s106 Developers’ Contributions and Community Infrastructure Levy funds for Thatcham are allocated to meet the needs of the town.
- To develop and monitor Supplementary Planning Guidance documents for adoption by West Berkshire District Council as material considerations.
- To actively promote and engage the local community in local Planning matters.
- To respond to, and take part in, any discussion with regard to Planning Policy documents, Local Plans, the Core Strategy, the Local Development Framework, and other such documents from West Berkshire District Council.
- To consider all Traffic Management/Road Safety issues in Thatcham referring any particular matters to Council or another Committee for comments and recommendations as the Planning and Highways Committee A as deemed appropriate.
- To consider requests for grit bins and agree expenditure within a predetermined budget agreed by the Council.
- To consider and respond to consultation documents when the appropriate scheduled Committee is not within the given timeframe to meet the deadline.
Upcoming meetings and events
T: 01635 867 283
Richard CrumlyI am married with 2 grown up children and one grand-daughter. I worked in central Thatcham as a Solicitor for over 30 years and therefore met many of the residents and became aware of many local issues. I have been a Councillor for several years and I find it rewarding being involved in local decision making and planning for the future of Thatcham.
I am also a West Berkshire District Councillor for the Thatcham Central Ward.
Address: 24 Cowslip Crescent, Thatcham
T: 07790 932 545
Steve Ardagh-WalterI'm one of the Members for West Thatcham on Thatcham Town Council. I sit on several committees, including those dealing with planning and highways, finance and the budget.
I'm also fortunate to represent West Thatcham on West Berkshire District Council. Additionally I'm the district 'cycling champion'. While being strictly a utility cyclist and not at all sporty, I'm greatly looking forward to forthcoming improved cycle lanes along the A4, starting with Newbury to Colthrop by mid 2018. I'm a member of the Henwick Worthy Management Committee and sit on the Thatcham Flood Forum.
I have lived in Thatcham for 25 years while working in the telecoms and IT industries.
Being married to a teacher, with 2 daughters who have passed through Kennet School, and having been a governor at Francis Baily Primary School for 10 years, I am particularly interested in education as well as transport.
I greatly enjoy the variety of issues which we deal with as a Council, and the opportunities it brings to help improve Thatcham and residents' lives.
Address: 11 Grassmead, Thatcham
T: 01635 869 893
Mike ColeI have been a resident of the town since 1984 and married with two grown up children. I have been a Town Councillor since 2011.
I have been fully involved in the business life of Thatcham for 20+ years, having been a local Bank Manager for 6 years in the 1990s and a member of the Thatcham Rotary Club since 1993, including serving two terms as Club President.
I have been a member of the local amateur theatrical group (KATS) since moving to the town and appeared in virtually all of their productions over the years.
Address: 10 Trefoil Drive, Thatcham
T: 07880 753 904
Jan CoverI moved to Thatcham in 1983 and straight away felt very at home. In 1994 I moved from Thatcham when my husband and I took over a public house the other side of Newbury. A few months after he died in 2008 I decided to move back to Thatcham. Best move I could have made, I love it here. It's friendly with good industrious hard working people. Plus it is still a town that thinks its a village, great!
I became involved with becoming a Town Councillor via the Conservatives, I was absolutely delighted to be voted by local people to represent them.
It is interesting, varied and, oh yes, time consuming!
Address: 41 The Quantocks, Thatcham
Past meetings and events
To find your Councillor or Nearest amenities, please use the form above.
I want to ...
Select a service or a destination below:
Monday, 17th Dec 2018 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesday, 18th Dec 2018 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesday, 8th Jan 2019 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm